If you'd still like the occasional alcoholic beverage...To minimize alcohol's affect on your digestive system:
- Dilute alcoholic beverages with water or club soda.
- Drink moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages -- the suggested amounts are 1-2 mixed drinks, 12-16 ounces of wine, or 2-3 beers.
- When having wine, drink white wine instead of red.
- Choose non-alcoholic beer or wine.
- Keep track of which alcoholic drinks aggravate your heartburn, and avoid them as much as possible.
Related ResourcesPeptic Ulcers
An ulcer is a sore or lesion that forms in the lining of the stomach or duodenum. Ulcers in the stomach are called gastric or stomach ulcers, and those in the duodenum are called duodenal ulcers, and both are usually referred to as peptic ulcers. Understanding the causes and symptoms of ulcers, and then getting a diagnosis and proper treatment, most people can find relief.
Mechanisms of Acid Reflux
There are three disturbances in the normal gastrointestinal (GI) function that can lead to GERD.
Gastritis is not a single disease, but means inflammation of the stomach lining. One of the causes can be drinking too much alcohol.