When did you first suspect you were suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)? What symptoms prompted you to go to your doctor about it? Share your experiences with others. Sharing your symptoms could prompt someone else with similar symptoms to see a doctor when they might not otherwise.Share With Others
- I get sevear pain iny chest and an like my broncule tubes are beening blown up like a baloon it's a bad hurtf feeling I have to keep trying to clear my throat I keep burping and that brings a small relief then I get a acid burning feeling in my throat it feels like I might be having a heart attack but after a few hours it will go away untill I eat and it starts all over again I xm going crazy
- —Guest Marty
suffering for at least 20 yrs
- Breathing has become complicated seems my everything is swollen In my throat. Swallowing is hell. Constant pain I upper right quad. Constant pain in throat, neck, ear. Have to hold head up to get a deep breath in. Sleeping is hell cant lay down and breath right. Have hiatal hernia. Been taking zantac for years. Ph balance 9.5 Essentia water gives relief of heartburn some. Depressing always uncomfortable. Think zantac is killing my liver. Cant bend over to much acid comes up. Throat feels like there is a fist stuck in it. Food gets stuck pills get stuck. Having to clear two bottles of water to get magnesium down to stop my stomach from moving around. Miserable.
- —Guest Mrs. Gerd
- I spent two years of high school constantly burping, with no idea of why and no other symptoms aside from some pain in my stomach when I burped a lot. I put the pain down to a side effect of burping so much. I went to the doctor and they said it was probably this and said to take Prevacid. It had no effect. I went to a specialist later and they did an upper endoscopy, said I had GERD, and told me to take double the usual dose of Prevacid. This worked, and now I don't burp all the time!
- —Guest M.A.M.
Dealing With GERD
- Constant clearing of my throat for years has been an issue. Had gall latter removed. About 10 yrs later I kept getting bronchitis and sinus infections. My doctor sent me to an allergist and he first told me I had GERD. Did not see GI doctor for about another year. Have had polyp removed & have diverticulosis. Now, I have been told my spleen is slightly enlarged & have lesion on my liver. Not sure that spleen and liver problem have anything to do with GERD.
- —Guest Sam
Many symptoms, non medicinal treatment
- I have had many of the same symptoms including being hospitalised twice with tachacardia (a racing heart). It took more than a year to be diagnosed with GORD. I was having severe heartburn, numbness and tingling in my hands, headaches, dizziness, severe chest pain, hoarse throat, and the irregular heart beat etc. I am now on PPI (pantaprazole) and ibosorbide mononitrate (duride) for oesophageal spasms. The meds help but are not a long term solution. I have adjusted my diet to limit the attacks as well. The symptoms are very distressing and affect my daily life. I have just volunteered for the New Zealand trial of a new surgical implant called EndoStim that hopefully will provide long term relief. The device uses electric pulses to control the oesophageal sphincter. I will post again and let you know how the trial goes.
- —Guest Rebecca
PLEASE Don't Ignore Chest Pain
- For about 3 years I thought I had GERD and the worst symptom was a cardiac type of chest pain which usually occurred about 30 minutes after eating. If I walked it almost always came on. I dismissed this as GERD. PLEASE do not make the mistake that I did as I have recently had triple bypass surgery. My GERD symptoms have gone!! I had 3 EKGs during this time - all normal. It wasn't until my doctor talked me into having a myocardial perfusion that my serious CAD issue was discovered. One of those coronary arteries was 99% occluded. According to the cardiologist I was possibly days away from a myocardial infarction and the state of my arteries would have meant a 95% chance of me NOT being revived even with instant medical help. The link with chest pain and food is obvious. 30 minutes after eating, your digestive system kicks in, drawing blood away from the heart. So get this test. It is simple and not very invasive. This test SAVED MY LIFE
- —Guest Holden4th
Hiatal Hernia and Gerd
- I'm 40 and had an extreme attack one night. I thought I was having a heart attack - tightness in chest, shooting pain, numbness on arm. Turned out my heart is fine. Was told to relax, it might be stress, and it was probably the meatball bomber I had for dinner causing heartburn. Well I self prescribed OTC Prilosec. Nothing got better. No trigger foods - everything can cause pain. Went back to dr. And he prescribed dexilant. Didn't work I had stomach cramps bad and a rash. Now taking Zantac 150mg 2/day. Day symptoms are almost gone. Still have a dull feeling in left abdomen and occasional pain from reflux. Went for an upper GI and have a small hiatal hernia. Bed is propped up; buying a wedge. Restless sleep due to reflux acid in throat. Probably all a result to stress and poor eating habits.
- —Guest Chrissy
- Im more wondering what you guys think. I have an on and off sore throat. Acid reflux everyday and worse by the afternoon. Sometimes very painful. The more water I drink the worse it gets and it does hurt to drink fizzy drinks. No matter what I eat or do it won't go away. Any ideas?
- —Guest ConstantAR
- Didn't know I had GERD when I was very young. Had persistent sore throat, nose bleeds, earache, stomach flu for 9 days...then had to remove my tonsil as it got very bad. Prior to going for a scope, had heartburn almost every night as I thought the fenugreek my colleague recommended wld suit me and also consume too much enzyme [in satchet form]...found that it contain vinegar. Then on Oct 2012 I went to see the specialist n she recommeded to undergo scope. The result is Grd A Reflux Esophagitis n Diverticular Disease other that Gastritis. Was given Proton Pump Inhibitor [Controloc for quite some time]. Recently, last year towards the end of Oct'12 n early Nov'12 had a very bad sore throat which led to lost of voice upon waking up n vomitted on the mrng itself. Currently it has also affected my left ear....got itchy then pain and only sometimes there's pain. At the moment I'm currently taking omeprazole 20mg and Manuka Honey alternately.
- —Guest Doreen Cho
feeling not well, no heartburn
- I was diagnosed with GERD 10 years ago and take Nexium for it. All is well except when I start feeling not well...it's not nausea or heartburn. I had 2 polyps taken out and 3 were left like 6 years ago. Can anyone tell me why I feel so not well..its like a constant pressure on my chest that goes down to where my stomach starts.
not just heartburn
- Had horrible chest pain. Called doctor who sent me to ER. No heart attack or blood clot but.GERD. Released from hospital with Prilosec, Vicodin, and Nitroglycerin. This is no heartburn.. This is HELL
- —Guest jab6703
- Am suffering with acid reflux in my throat and its a nightmare. I can't eat, sleep and u consistently cough up mucus. Am taking ranitidine150mg but its not touching it. I've tried different tablets for it but I get a reaction to it and have to stop taking them. Am waiting to get a camera down my throat but its frightening me because am choking with it at night. Am fed up of it. It all starts with the menopause.And I've had enough. Any repleys would be helpful. Thank u.
- —Guest julie
Same here Guest southerner
- I have had your exact symptoms on and off for two years now--diagnosed with GERD last year. Had the endoscopy and had no damage. But I am still having symptoms.
- —Guest Kelly
- I have been dealing with this for 3yrs now. Had a hiatle hernia repair, a gallbladder removed, and a lap Nissan and still to this day I have stomach spasms atleast 4-5 times a month they usually last for about 2-3 hrs long with neasea and dizziness not sure what else could be wrong
- —Guest jamie
- I started having GERD symptoms while taking fenugreek which my colleague recommended and Biozyme an enzyme powder which was bought fr a health shop. My neck became very red, was feeling very hot [heartburn] and persistent hoarseness n sore throat. Went for scope 2 yrs ago i.e. Oct 2010 n was diagnose with Grd A reflux esophagitis n Diverticular Disease as well as gastritis. Lately, my reflux has become quite bad. It started with a very painful swallowing of water n food then body ache n slight fever, given MC the nxt day, lots of phlegm n mucus then persistent coughing non-stop, later on had no voice n vomitted upon waking up. This has been going on for close to 7 wks [started on 29th Oct]. I also developed itchiness earlier on my left ear then persistent pain. Anyway....I'll be seeing the ENT doc tmr for a checkup.
- —Guest Doreen Cho