There are various options for GERD treatment. Your physician may ask you to try dietary changes and lifestyle modifications first, to see how these methods work in controlling your GERD symptoms. After this, depending on how well these work, you and your physician may discuss other options.
Below are some of the top treatments for GERD.
For many individuals, certain foods cause heartburn. For this reason, many physicians will suggest changes in diet as a first step in their patient's GERD treatment. Use the links below to get started on your dietary changes.
- How Certain Foods Cause Heartburn
- Safe Foods for Heartburn Sufferers
- Foods to Eat in Moderation
- Foods to Avoid
- Meal Planning Tips to Prevent Heartburn
- Heartburn Friendly Recipes
- Heartburn-Free School Lunches
- Dining Out Guide for Heartburn Sufferers
- Heartburn Record - Charting Foods That Cause Heartburn
- Books on the Acid Reflux Diet
Lifestyle modifications can help control heartburn. Below are tips on for dealing with heartburn in different aspects of your life.
- Quick Tips for Preventing Heartburn
- Preventing Nighttime Heartburn
- Pregnancy and Heartburn
- Preventing Summertime Heartburn
- Preventing Heartburn at School
- Preventing Holiday Heartburn
- Preventing Heartburn at Holiday Parties
- Holiday Tips for Children with GERD
Proton Pump Inhibitors
Proton pump inhibitors are a group of medications that decreases the amount of acid in the stomach and intestines. They work by completely blocking the production of stomach acid. They do this by inhibiting (shutting down) a system in the stomach known as the proton pump.