Some people suffer from Gastroesophageal reflux disease because they have a hiatal hernia.
Approximately half of hiatal hernia patients don't experience any symptoms. For the other 50 percent of patients, the following symptoms may occur. For those who do experience symptoms, the most common is heartburn. Many individuals with a hiatal hernia also have gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. For them, their doctors may prescribe a treatment plan that is similar to the treatment for GERD.
Other digestive disorders can occur along with a hiatal hernia. Learn which is the disorder that occurs in the majority of hiatal hernia patients.
There are two categories of hiatal hernias, sliding or paraesophageal. With paraesophageal hernias, the gastro-esophageal junction remains where it belongs, but part of the stomach is squeezed up into the chest beside the esophagus. These hernias remain in the chest at all times. With this type of hernia, complications can occur.
If you've been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, you'll need to know how to live with it.
How much do you know about hiatal hernias? Test your knowledge of these questions and others by taking this hiatal hernia quiz!
- Para-esophageal Hiatal Hernia
- Barrett's esophagus
- Erosive esophagitis
- Lifestyle changes for a hiatal hernia
- Diet modification
- Smoking and heartburn
- Alcohol and heartburn
- Controlling acid reflux with lifestyle changes
- Controlling acid reflux at night
- H2 Antagonists
- Proton Pump Inhibitors
You will find the following links helpful also:
- Symptoms of heartburn
- Causes of heartburn
- Diagnostic tests
- Preventing heartburn
- Treating heartburn
- Safe foods for heartburn sufferers
- Foods heartburn sufferers should only eat in moderation
- Foods heartburn sufferers should avoid
- Heartburn-free recipes
- Heartburn-friendly breakfast menus
- Heartburn-friendly lunch menus
- Heartburn-friendly dinner menus
- Heartburn-friendly daily menus
- Heartburn-friendly weekly menus
Test your knowledge of these questions and others by taking this hiatal hernia quiz.