Why is Prevacid prescribed?Prevacid is used to prevent ulcers and treat other conditions in which the stomach produces too much acid.
Special precautions to follow when taking Prevacid
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Prevacid or any other drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver or kidney disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking Prevacid, call your doctor.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications or vitamins you are taking.
What if you forget a dose?Consult your physician before taking a missed dose. Your doctor will be able to determine if it is safe to do so, or if you should wait until your next scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Possible side effects of PrevacidAlthough side effects from Prevacid are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- Upset stomach
- Stomach pain
- Rash or hives
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Storage conditions needed for PrevacidKeep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Sources: "Prevacid." NDA 20-406/S-033. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 11 Mar 2007 <http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2000/20406S33lbl.pdf>