I love Chicken Cordon Bleu. However, I hate the heartburn I can get from the traditional recipe. This low-fat version of that favorite recipe helps tame the heartburn.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices lean smoked ham
- 4 slices nonfat or low-fat Swiss cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- With a meat tenderizer mallet, pound the chicken breasts until they are flattened.
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on one side of each pounded breast.
- Fold the other side of the chicken breast over, and press the edges together to seal.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg whites, milk, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the milk mixture.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the bread crumbs.
- Place the chicken on foil-covered cookie sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.