1. Health
Sharon Gillson

When One Medication May Not Be Enough

By December 12, 2012

You may be taking an antacid or proton pump inhibitor or h2 blocker, and not finding relief. This may be because a combination of those remedies would control GERD symptoms better.

Each type of drug works in a different way, and alone may only control some of the symptoms. Remember, your doctor is the best source to decide which medications would work best for you GERD symptoms.

What are these types of medications?

Antacids
Antacids work by neutralizing acid in the stomach. They are usually the first remedy doctors will recommend patients take to relief heartburn symptoms. Antacids include Rolaids, Maalox, Mylanta, Tums, Gaviscon, and Chooz.

H2 Blockers
H2 blockers, also called H2 receptor agonists, are medicines that reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces. H2 blockers include Axid, Pepcid, Tagamet, and Zantac.

Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a group of medications that prevent the release of acid in the stomach and intestines. PPIs include Aciphex, Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and Protonix.

Comments
February 2, 2008 at 7:34 am
(1) Linda says:

i have had a problem with acid for over 4 years and did have not found any kind of pill that helps

February 4, 2008 at 11:14 pm
(2) barbara says:

Had terrible break thru acid on 2 Nexium per day. Am trying combination of all three med types to avoid taking 3 PPi’s per day. May be working…it’s been 4 years of this. don’t want surgery..

February 5, 2008 at 5:38 pm
(3) Dianne says:

I have had the operation about five years ago. And still getting bad acid burning on one. 40mg nexium a day. I allso have thoart trouble and globus.Nothing i try seems to help even loseing 8 kilo.I is a real worry every three years i go and have the tube down to have it checked wich i am having this month keeping my fingers crossed.

December 19, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(4) Chris BoWell says:

Iíve been suffering from acid reflux causing heartburn for over 15 years. I was sleeping with the Pepcid Bottle on my bedside, because my constant heartburn was that bad.

It wasn’t until I really limited my diet and watched what I ate that I started to get better.

Alot of foods actually cause heartburn and gerd, stay away from these foods and it will go a long way to getting you pain free again!

December 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm
(5) Bob says:

I have been suffering with GERD for the last 7 years. During most days I don’t have much of a problem but night time is a different story.

Although I sleep on a wedge to keep my upper body elevated I wake up at least 3 times during the night with bad heartburn. I usully take Gaviscon which will work for about an hour and then I have to take more. I have been experimenting with a combination of PPI’s and Acid Blockers (Pepcid complete) and nothing seems to work satisfactory. Anybodiy out there with a wonder cure???

December 25, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(6) Shelley Martine says:

Try taking your PPI when you wake up and before you eat and before dinner and eat more small meals