1. Health
Sharon Gillson

Will Milk Help Stop the Heartburn?

By December 7, 2010

Many people believe that drinking a glass of milk will help their heartburn. I can remember my grandmother telling us a glass of warm milk could help us with anything from having problems going to sleep to easing a sour stomach.

The truth is, drinking that glass of milk could have the opposite effect when it comes to nighttime heartburn. Eating anything too close to bedtime, especially if we overeat, can cause excess production of stomach acid. This in turn can cause heartburn.

Many people still swear by the soothing effects of drinking milk before bed. While milk may appear to ease the burn of acid reflux initially, there may be a rebound action later when this same milk triggers the production of stomach acid.

There are ways, however, of easing nighttime heartburn. One way is to eat a smaller meal at dinner, and not going to bed for two to three hours after eating.

For more tips on controlling nighttime heartburn, you can read this article on lessening nighttime heartburn.

Photo by woodsy (stock.xchng)

Comments
December 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm
(1) Nissen Fundoplication says:

I suffered for years with GERD and milk never worked for me, either. Meds would work good for awhile and then I would have to switch to another med. I thought there was something physically wrong with me so I decided to have nissen fundoplication. Heartburn surgery proved not to be a quick fix. In fact, it turned out to be a living nightmare in my life. Today even after heartburn surgery, I try to eat several hours before going to bed.

December 9, 2010 at 10:45 am
(2) Heartburn Treatment says:

Thanks for the great information. I always thought milk was a good heartburn treatment and was under the impression that it actually helped and not make things worse. Thanks for the info!

November 7, 2011 at 2:45 am
(3) FkinAwesome says:

my parents told me to drink milk after i had a heartburn. i told them it was also an acid and would further lead to the problem, but they didn’t agree.
the article nicely addresses the problem

March 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(4) Chad says:

I suffer from heartburn often. I drink a glass of cold milk and it goes away on contact and never returns until a few days later when I have it again. I have read the above information ,but I go by if it works it works .

January 27, 2013 at 1:01 am
(5) Steve Othen says:

You cannot just say don’t drink milk to solve the problem as I find milk works when you are in dire pain; and things such as renie or other useless things like that don’t work at all. I drink a small mouthful of low fat milk- problem solved for a night and maybe even the whole of the next day. If it comes back then have another sip and gone again. Milk is better for some people.

February 28, 2013 at 5:19 am
(6) Sam says:

I am still fighting heartburn, and I have taken everything. My doctor fusses at me all the time about drinking milk, but if I have really bad acid re-flux at night (after taking medicine and not eating late like the doctor and other people say) I drink a small glass of cold milk and it goes away almost instantly. My doctor says its in my head. If it’s in my head and it works, I don’t care lol, I just want it to stop… So it may help for dire need, and it may come back later, but relief seems to me to be a sip away.

April 10, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(7) maleya peter says:

Man! Just woken with a very painful heart burn.But thanks to yr tips,just happened to have fresh Ginger inthe house.it really works.Thank you,I can now go back and sleep

April 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(8) maleya peter says:

Thank you so much on your tips about heartburn.Just tried chewing fresh Ginger and it works.I can now go back and sleep

May 28, 2013 at 3:07 am
(9) Annah Moagabo says:

people have been telling me that milk is the remedy for hurtburn but to me it does not do anything even after taking few glasses of it.thanks for the advice guys.i believe the best solution is to visit the doctor…

May 30, 2013 at 1:37 am
(10) Allinmyhead says:

Milk also works for me and always has – I wish the doctors that have never studied the nutritional side of medicine would quit rendering uneducated opinions -someone should actually figure out why it works for some but not others -because it really does work for me and it’s not all in my head.

June 27, 2013 at 5:16 am
(11) Nick says:

I just woke up with mad heart burn, and it hurts so bad that I can’t go back to sleep ): and after reading this I don’t know of I should go have a nice glass of cold milk. Lol never eat little Cesar’s pizza before you go to sleep

June 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(12) Tina says:

I feel severe heart burning at night, due to pregnancy but a glass of cold milk always do da work!
It really relieves da burning! Itz nt just in my head but literally tried it many times & it worked!

July 4, 2013 at 11:38 am
(13) nancy says:

Sorry but Milk always works for me. I took Pepci before bed every night for 30 days and it helped…but there where still night I woke up with heartburn and a glass of cold milk did the trick…You can get relif from heartburn with one sip of cold milk…
If I said Red wine helps my heartburn….well..now THAT would be in my head!!!

July 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(14) Haylee says:

I’m 19 years old, and i get heart burn everynight after having a heavy dinner, and you feel sick..
I’ve tried Gavsicon (however it’s spelt) it works, but i didn’t have any at that time, also i got told that baking soda works aswell.
Some of these things we don’t have.
Is there any other type of drink that will take heart burn away ?? maybe Prune Juice.. lol

July 31, 2013 at 8:48 pm
(15) Ryan says:

Milk has worked for me but not to a good enough extent but when I’m working night shift with no remedy it’s the best option I have. I’m just wondering how the placebo effect is coming in to play. That is maybe the only reason it works.

August 10, 2013 at 7:12 am
(16) Rorio says:

Milk “works” because it coats your esophagus temporarily so that the acid doesn’t burn, but then it induces production of more acid.

It’s a bandaid solution if you can’t find meds at the time.

September 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(17) Kim says:

Milk always works for me. I have severe acid reflux and wake in the middle of the night with acid in my mouth. The only thing that stops it is milk. I think they should do more research on this.

September 20, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(18) Jae says:

Milk had worked for me initially, for about 10-15mins. Then the pain came back more intense. I’ve never liked milk in general so when someone suggested it I tried it reluctantly. Never ever again! I have been using 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda in water (about 8-10oz) and that seems to work much better for me. I don’t get heartburn often but when I do it’s like the flames of Hades!

January 13, 2014 at 7:26 am
(19) marla says:

i have gerd and i get heartburn every 2 hours its really painful sometimes i dnt eat at all and i still get heart burn i guess its jst part of my acid reflex disease i drink milk and it only sooths the pain but it comes back nuthings ever wrkd for me then milk and a pack of powder called sal de uva i love that mexican brand it sooths it and takes the pain away within 3 seconds while its soothing it you can feel and hear your heartburn popping from the inside of ur chest and stomach it burns a little but thats only because its working through ur pain i recommend sal de uva ppl they sale them at dollar stores for like 2.50 it comes with 6 little packs i gurantee it wrks

February 25, 2014 at 12:03 am
(20) SaL says:

Drinking a cold glass of milk works for me too, if the product tums has calcium.. makes sense to drink milk…. never had any problems after drinking milk.. like chad says.. it goes away on contact!