1. Health
Sharon Gillson

Do You Have Barrett's Esophagus?

By July 29, 2009

Barrett's esophagus is a disorder in which the lining of the esophagus is damaged. This damage occurs when parts of the esophageal lining are repeatedly exposed to stomach acid, and are replaced by tissue that is similar to what is found intestine. The most common risk factor for Barrett's esophagus is long-term gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Some people experience the feeling that's like a lump in the throat, and wonder if they may have Barrett's esophagus. Like with the following experience:

"Recently diagnosed with GERD. Had horrible heartburn and constant belching. On Nexium for about six weeks, taken twice daily. It has worked for the heartburn, if my diet is also careful. But belching continues and lump in throat / food stuck in throat is constant. I am alone with this? Could this symptom mean Barrett's or cancer? I had an endoscopy about 10 years ago for stomach pains. Only inflammation was found. This time the heartburn was extreme and this food-in-the-throat deal is fairly frightening."

Have you been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus? You can share your experiences with symptoms, what prompted you to go to your doctor, and how a diagnosis was made.

Comments
July 31, 2009 at 4:57 am
(1) July2009 says:

I was diagnosed with Barrett’s Syndrome today. I am a white female who just turned 50. I am at my correct weight, a non-smoker, I drink alcohol occasionally.
I went in for the endoscopy because of some acid reflux but mainly because my uncle died from esophageal cancer and my aunt now has it – both on my mother’s side. I really thought I had celiac disease and my doctor and I were both shocked when this result came back. So now I am faced with lifelong dietary changes, medication, and tests to see if this condition progresses. I am taking a low-dose antidepressant and my doctor mentioned that is could cause reflux also. Very scary. I was so shocked that I didn’t ask my doctor many questions. What are the things I need to ask? Should I seek a second opinion? My doctor said that it could regress but nothing that I have read mentions that – is this true?
My doctor (gastroenterologist) wants my to come back for another endoscopy in December.

August 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(2) Phil from London says:

I was diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus in April this year after a follow-up endoscopy for gastric ulcers. My four ulcers had healed but the consultant discovered an area of redness in my esophagus. He took a sample and I got the results two weeks later at my local GP’s (general practitioner’s) office. I have a length of 5 cm that is affected. The funny thing is, just a few days prior to receiving my results, I’d received a newsletter from ‘About.com’ about this disorder, never knowing that I actually had it! The ‘lump in the throat’ that people often associate with this disorder, I have only started to notice in the past few weeks. My throat feels sore now, too. I do smoke, a lot. I have been under a crippling amount of stress for the past 16 months after moving from my home town of Bristol to Hayes in London. My health has deteriorated ever since. I quit drinking in Oct 2006, and I remain sober. I have had a Hiatus hernia for over a decade and have take Esomeprazole ever-since. To be honest, the future scares me. Thanks for reading. Phil.

August 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(3) Kris says:

I have had Barrett’s for about 15 years. I have a hiatia hernia also. My doctor did not tell me what it was and I had to find out everything form the internet. I did not ask him a lot of questions because he just told me to take this med.I had stage one which is dysplasia,last year and it is healed this year. I now go every two years for the scope. I found out I had it by telling my doctor durning my yearly check up that my stomach hurt and I had heart burn all the time. I also complained about waking up at night with chest pain and early morning. At that time I had ecoli and two ulcers in my stomach. Smoking is very bad if you have Barrett’s and drinking anything with acid in it. I love coffee and diet pop and did not quit drinking them until I had the bad report last year. Now I may have a pop or coffee, limiting to one a day. I do feel better if I don’t drink it at all. The only drink you really can find without acid is water. Milk even has acid. So there is my story about how I found out and how I deal with it. I don’t always follow the diet if I feel good.

August 4, 2009 at 10:40 am
(4) Barbara says:

I was diagnosed with GERD about 15 years ago and I am 39 now. I was overweight most of that time but don’t smoke or drink much. I was going every two years for an endoscopy and for years suffered with Barrett’s Esophagus. After the 3rd test came back that I still had Barrett’s I decided to do something about it before it was too late, I took my Prevacid ALL THE TIME rather than my usual here and there method, try to avoid or eliminate my trigger foods and most importantly to lose weight. Well I am happy to say that the combination of all three helped me to get rid of Barrett’s since my last endoscopy this year came back negative and now my doc says I don’t have to have another one though I will always be on Prevacid/Protonix!!! I definitely notice my symptoms flare up when I gain 5 or 10 pounds back or when I “forget” my medicine. So far this year I have lost 23 pounds though I gained 6 back so I am still working on losing another 15 or 20.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

August 17, 2009 at 12:11 am
(5) danielle says:

I had a positive blood test for Celiac Disease but the only way to verify it is to have an endoscopy. They didn’t find Celiac Disease of the small intestine but was told they found Barrett’s Esophagus. I was 42yo female at the time without any heartburn symptoms other than during pregnancy 8 yrs perviously. A swallow exam verified the reflux. I was shocked to see it happening on the screen, yet no symptoms. I was put on H2 blockers for one year then developed ulcers of the esophagus. I was then put on a PPI (Nexium) once a day so that the ulcers would heal. I went through a battery of tests including an esophageal manometry and a 24 hr PH test to see if I would benefit from fundoplication surgery. My GI retired in the middle of testing and the new GI looked at my symptoms (I had many related to Celiac) and had me go on a gluten free diet. Most of my reflux symptoms cleared. They have put the surgery on hold, I have been able to decrease my meds to every other day, have stayed gluten free and am waiting another endoscopy 9 months from now.
My symptoms of reflux were belching, light sleeping(reflux waking me at night not realizing it), morning nausea feeling better after eating, chest pains and difficulty swallowing food and liquid at times. It all cleared when put on the meds. I will be watched to see if the barrett’s tissue changes to a more serious type that leads to cancer ever 2 years for the rest of my life and to think I never realized I had heartburn. Once the tissues change you can still have the heartburn/gerd but not feel it because your esophagus has tissues in it much like the stomach at this point where we also don’t feel the acid.
I hope this can help one person if they are suffering from any of these symptoms.

October 1, 2009 at 9:42 pm
(6) Dyanne says:

I’m a 42 year old female and I was just diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia and Barrett’s Esophagus on Monday – Sept 28th, 2009. I do not have the result of the biopsy yet, but I’m trying not to get anxious because it really won’t do me any good to go there. I have however; done a lot of research since my diagnosis, as I’m sure everyone does when faced with a medical condition. As I think back through the years I realize that I have had severe heartburn since I have been in my 20′s… I just considered it a part of life, ate a few Tum’s and went on with my day. I never imagined that indigestion could lead to this.

I had my gallbladder out last February due to gallstones and my heartburn actually went away for a bit, I thought maybe that was the issue and I felt so good! Unfortunately it came back full force within a few months and when the Tums’s by the handful weren’t doing the trick anymore and I knew something was up. I also had a very annoying tickle in my throat that would not go away, so my doctor first sent me to a Ear-Nose-Throat specialist who took a look at my throat saw the irritation but didn’t find anything else, he is the one who recommended I have an upper GI scope so they could look further down. Truthfully, I pushed it off for several months because I was so busy with work and I was a little scared (mostly scared and used work as an excuse). When it got to the point where the burning behind my chest bone was so bad and I was putting Tum’s in a candy dish and offering them to guests, time was up. I went to the doctor, bit the bullet and went in for the scope.

I think the gastroenterologist that did my scope probably thought I was an idiot because I just looked around the room looking for the person he was telling this information to, it certainly couldn’t be me. – Fact of the matter is I was simply in shock… I was in total shock actually.

“I have what? I don’t have barrettes’ in my hair, silly! It’s a precursor to what? What exactly is sliding besides the obvious visuals on my person? You took a biopsy…Yuck, what’s up with that? I can’t eat or drink what, great, really great! Oh, geez what’s on my shoe…looks like gum… I’m sorry, you were saying? Why are you still here, why are you still talking….NO WAY – NOT ME!”

Overall, the scariest part is wondering if I’m strong enough to change my lifestyle choices. I see a future of water and vegetables, constant meds and a lot of prayer that I’m not a statistic. Geeezzz this is a lot to take in, I keep trying to tell myself – this is not a curse, but a chance. Think positive!

October 4, 2009 at 11:07 pm
(7) july2009 says:

It is very interesting to read the comments since I left my first post on July 31. In dealing with Barrett’s E, I have raised my bed – at first too high and I was sliding down at night… I have given up my morning coffee and am making fruit smoothies instead. I have given up alcohol except for a sip now and then. I haven’t had jalapenos since July or much spicy food. I can’t give up chocolate but am trying to be careful of the time that I do have it. I was given about 8 different drugs to try. Since I will probably have to be on something for the rest of my life – I have decided on Prilosec for just that reason – it is relatively inexpensive and can be bought generic, over the counter.
The list of foods to avoid is ridiculous and I have decided to just be careful. Of course, I feel guilty much of the time.
My doctor feels that moderation is the most important thing and – staying on the acid inhibitor. I will have another scope in December, will see. In the meanwhile, my aunt is extremely ill with esophageal cancer and it is all very scary. Even my ob-gyn mentioned all of the barrett’s she sees in her office now. Why???

November 12, 2009 at 5:06 pm
(8) Cindy says:

I am 34 and I was diagnosed with Barretts on October 1, 2009. Otherwise I am pretty healthy. My year was pretty eventful, I had a c-section last year and as i was losing the baby weight I felt a lump above my belly button and it turned out to be a epigastric hernia. It would make me sick to my stomach if it was touched. I had surgery to repair it in May and then i felt great! then all of a sudden somewhere around the 4th of July and since then I felt like I ate a chip but didnt chew or swallow it properly and it scraped on the way down my throat or that i had a kind of sore thoat. I had pain in my neck that was not a typical sore throat. I also had pain in my chest bone. I was put on Omeprazole and it didnt seem to help much, then i went on Ranitidine and then after my endoscopy on the 1st of Oct. I was put on Protonix. It helped for a bit and it seems like you need to be on it for a while but the symptoms of pain came back, so then back on Ranitidine I went. Its been a week now and I was told to take Protonix in the a.m. and Ranitidine at night. I feel like an 85 year old woman. I am 34 and I am sick of feeling sore and sick of complaining. I bought a $170 pillow to keep me elevated at night which by the way is no better than what I was doing before. I actually still put pillows on top of the therapy pillow to make me higher!! I stopped eating chocolate, ice cream, OJ, cranberry juice, pizza, spaghetti sauce and I stopped eating 3 hours before bed. I want a good book with answers! Why am i still feeling crappy when i am doing what i am supposed to? My biopsy came back negative THANK GOD!! and i will get another endoscopy in a year or 2. i am scared to death about getting cancer. I need to lose 30lbs. but am constantly picking at foods throughout the day to soothe my throat. I f i could dangle a popscicle down my throat with throwing up i would to help the irritation! How did I get this?? I never ate spicy foods I NEVER had heartburn accept when i was pregnant 6 years ago. I didnt have any at all this last time. So where did this come from?? Will my kids get it?? I wonder if it was a screw up from my hernia surgery?
I just want more answers than I am getting at the doctors. Should I be symptom free if on the right meds? and should I be able to eat a few of the “avoid” foods without a problem? Thank God I dont smoke or drink coffee! All I know is tht the 3 people I have talked to that have it are not being as strict as I am and they feel fine eating and living normally.
In the end I am fighting this with all I have and just look at it as a kick the ass to change my lifestyle. Anyway sorry to ramble on but its nice to know I am not alone.

November 16, 2009 at 11:52 pm
(9) Donna Bills says:

Hi I have Barrett’s Esophagus also my husband died in 2007 and in April of 2008 I had to go to the emergency room for bad stomach pains they did a endoscopy on me and they told me I had Barrett’s esophagus told me I had to take priolosec for the rest of my life. How depressing now lately I have had most of my meds get stuck in my throat and in the morning when I get up I always have a sore throat is this any way to life? I am also on antidepressants for fibro boy what next. Life sucks most of the time.

November 17, 2009 at 3:58 am
(10) Alice says:

I am at the age 40 now.3 years before when I had the problem of stomach pain & acidity,I went to see a doctor.He did endoscopy and had found that I was with Grade -III hiatus hernia of size bigger than 5cm.Also I had peptic ulcer from H-pylori bacteria.He gave me ‘tripple therapy’ for ulcer and asked me to control diet.Even after that I experiencd heartburn,chest pain ,coughing etc. .I was suffering from barrett’s esophagus.Later from internet I realized the adverse effects from backflow of acid to mouth.When I take medicine-ezomoprosole,it reduces.Again it comes.Later I decided to control this without medicine-Do not allow the acid to flow back to esophagus.For that I am doing the following:-
1. Very important-Finish dinner 3 hrs before you go to bed.Major portion of the acids produced would be utilised for digestion before go to bed.
2. Rise your head by 15cms while sleeping to control flow of acid to mouth.

3.Eat more alkaline foods to neutralise the acid produced in stomach.

4.Reduce weight and there by obesity.

November 17, 2009 at 11:01 am
(11) Joan Turek says:

I have Barrett’s Esophagus. Diagnosed from biopsies taken as part of an endoscopy. My esphosgue looked find, however, Barrett’s was found to be present at the microscopic level. Did research, only 1 to 5% of persons with Barrett’s advance to cancer and there are clinical trials at NIH looking at new treatments–so we all have some health problems, and I can live with this one. Will get endoscopies as requred.

Am now having problems with GERD–due to being under a lot of stress. My Dr is talking about surgery due to my hyatial hernia.

Am on prescription strength Previcid twice a day–
however, several people said it did not work for them. Can you tell me your experience?

November 18, 2009 at 9:57 pm
(12) Linda says:

I am a 53 year old female that was diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus three years ago.

Several months prior to this diagnosis, I began belching after eating and also had nausea after every meal. I saw my primary care doctor (PCP) who ordered lab work and a sonogram. The lab results showed that I had elevated liver enzymes, and the sonogram showed that I had gallstones. I went to my gastroenterologist, who said I have Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. The doctor said losing weight would also decrease the fat around my liver. I was about 40 pds overweight.

Although I had no stomach pains, removing my gallbladder was suppose to help with the nausea and belching and that it could have been the reason for my elevated liver enzymes. Unfortunately, the surgery did not help with my nausea. I returned to my gastro doctor who preformed an endoscopy, which came back as me having Barretts. I was in shock, since I never had any symptoms of acid reflux, other than the burping/belching which could have been caused by the gallbladder. I was put on 40 mg. of Nexium once a day and will most likely be taking this for the rest of my life. Last December I had a total knee replacement and in June of this year, I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I have made many lifestyle changes during these three years which include no more carbonated beverages, caffeine, and chocolate. More importantly I eat smaller meals. I count carbs and I’m steadily losing weight. I’m also out walking every day. My A1C went from 6.7 to 5.1 and I hope that my lifestyle change will reflect positive results when I see my gastro doctor next month.

November 20, 2009 at 11:14 am
(13) Lynn says:

I started getting severe stomach pain in Aug 2009.
Felt like I was being jabbed over and over from lower belly button area right up into my liver & galbladder area. (no heartburn/no acid in my throat/no burning/ nothing except these gut wrenching pains and nausea. Could not eat/could not fill up my stomach without going into a severe attack lasting hours.
my dr thought i had galstones. he did 3 very expsinve test. told me to come back in 30 days.
(one test was a ct scan…told him there was no way i could drink 2 huge cups of that orange stuff. told him that i would die. i had to drink it anyway and right after the ct scan i went into 1 21 hour attack…no sleep (my doctor told me to ask the doctor who gave me the ct scan why i got so sick !!!!! true story)
I took myself to another dr…took another test & biopsies came back positive for “Barrett’s Syndrome.
I do not have heartburn/no soar throat/no acid reflux…nothing but nausea/stomach pain/sometimes attacks/lost 17 1/2 lbls. cannot eat anything except some meat/plain potatoe/some green veg without anything on them. Does anybody expernce this too???? none of the meds make me feel better. following the diet the dr gave me, but still nauseous most of the time.

November 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(14) Margie says:

I was diagnosed with Barretts in 2009 after about 10 yrs of off and on acid reflux plus 5 stents placed in my heart. Stabbing pain whwn the attacks come and a huge loss of weight from 117 to 92 lbs. No way to live since I can’t take care of my house, pets, and normal things that need to be done. The only way I see out of this hell is a miricle healing from Jesus. Wommack Ministries on line has a testimony of a young boy healed from Barretts and I know a pastors wife who was healed of it. Put your trust in the Lord and download free healing scriptures and praise music.

November 20, 2010 at 8:00 am
(15) Cindy says:

I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophogus 2 years ago. I was at my primary doctors with back spasms and mentioned to him that I have had a lot of acid reflux….for years! I also told him about the severe chest pain as if I was having and angina attack. He asked how long and I told him it has been years. He sent be immediately to a gastro doctor. The gastro doctor did an endoscope and found that I have a hiatel hernia (small) GERD (reflux disease) and low and behold Barretts Esophogus. FYI to those that think you can get rid of Barretts….you can’t. Once you have it, it is not reversible. It is about managing. I take a prilosec perscription….heaven forbid I miss a dose! I can tell what days may be good and what days are going to be bad.

Reading these posts, many of you say that your doctor recommends an endoscope every two years or so. I have to have one every year. Missing a year would concern me. I am always very anxious about getting one done just because I want to know that I am good for another year. It is recommended every year.

My doctor told me that I am stuck with the meds for the rest of my life along with the endoscope. However, he believes in eating in moderation but know what irritates you the most.

If you are feeling a lump in your throat and you are having food stuck or you are choking, please see a doctor immediately. My doctor made me promise to call if that ever happens….you need to do the same.

November 29, 2010 at 6:42 am
(16) Cathy says:

Hi,
I have been diagnosed with barratts syndrome & hiatus hernia. I have a lot of pain just below my breast bone and acid reflux all the time. I had endoscopy in march 09 and my doctor has informed me that it should be done yearly.
I have to take omperazole 2tables, twice a day. I have only just started this many, so cannot say if it has been healpful.

December 3, 2010 at 10:58 am
(17) TAMI says:

I am 29 years old and I was first diagnosed with H pylori. I was having real bad stomach pains almost to passing out. Then I was I had a scope done and found out about three months ago I have Barretts and hiatal hernia. I have not had heart burn or acid reflux. I am not over weight I am very active and workout. The doctor did not tell me much. Does anyone know about the stomach pains and does this go along with it?

December 3, 2010 at 11:13 am
(18) tami says:

Lynn I have the exact same problems!! Have you found out anything else????

January 19, 2011 at 12:42 am
(19) mary says:

I have hiatal hernia and Barretts, doctor put me on nexium 2 times a day. did not work at all, only caused more reflux and pain!!!! now I am seeiing TCM doctor who gives me medication to protect lining of esophagus. Also medication to find a balance in the body: good balance means good organs and stomach will function better (for intake of vitamins and nutrients). Overall feel much better, but reflux and pain are often there, although i take all precautions of diet, small meals, sleeping with elevated upper body etc etc. I wish I could do something to take away the Barretts because my big big fear is cancer. Good luck to you (us) all, guys!!!! Let’s hope for a miracle, a scientist who can find the ideal treatment to make it go away! My son, 17 years old, promised me to study medicine or pharmacy to try to find a cure for us!!!!!!!

January 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm
(20) Del says:

Around 2005 I started having acid reflux I was on no
medication. Went to the Doc , had the endoscope down
my throat and up my butt.I found out I have a hiatel herna.
Where this came from I do not know. I

March 4, 2011 at 4:20 am
(21) rachelle says:

i have been told i have barrets esophagus, i am only 22 years old, its very scary to think being so young and having such a thing, i also suffer from depression which is also hard, i made mistakes which have lead to this , when i was a teenager i suffered from bulimia which is the main cause i have barrets i now have to change my diet and quit smoking , its very hard what to no what to eat and what not to, i have 2 toddlers which i want to be their for them for the rest of their lifes but i have a feeling with suffering from this at such a young as i might not have the joys of doing so. i feel really alone as it seems to be alot more common in middle age people i havent even really lived life yet and im so worried at the moment everything i eat hurts and worried that it might come back up.whats the best diet to help………….. my doctor also hasnt told me alot only dont eat acidic food , no alcohol, no smoking, but i have read alot on barrets and there seems to be alot more that i can not actually eat, is there anyone else been diagonised at such a young age?

March 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm
(22) erik says:

same deal here just was told i had BE and nio big deal with the dr just take your pill see you in a year very big deal 34 with a 2 yeare old i am going to roswell park cancer hospitail for all the answers hop to set mind at eazz

June 22, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(23) Nancy says:

I’m 57 and recently was diagnosed with barretts and hiatal hernia when i went in for a gi to be sure i was ok for donating a kidney to my son. what a surprise! I had some indigestion for about 6-8 months but i just figured it was from getting older. I’m not overweight, i don’t smoke, i exercise, and i’ve been very healthy all my life (very thankful!). I was very upset with all the great part of life i had to give up especially coffee and alcohol!!!!All the other things are difficult to give up too. It’s hard to get answers. have talked to 3 drs and nothing about this disease is black and white. One was very blunt and when asking questions, reminded me what a serious disease this is (duh) and to cut out everything. I lost 10 pounds in 2 months cause I’d go to bed hungry almost every night (my husband and i usually ate dinner about 8pm). I am doing better because i don’t want to lose much more weight. I just wish i could get better information about how much can we cheat. A little once in awhile? I don’t have many symtoms (fortunately) so i don’t know if maybe i can drink a little or eat some foods that are acidic. Anybody know what we with barretts can even drink??? Only water??? I would like to know something that tastes decent i can drink! It’s a frustrating disease but i am thankful i don’t have some of the terrible symtoms that some other people have. and i don’t even know if it gets worse. Anyone know? any of these answers would be appreciated.

August 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm
(24) Lilia says:

I was diagnosed with BE when I was 35. I had no symptoms of gerd. I had my IUD removed under anesthesia and went home. That afternoon, I had terrible heartburn & was burping every second. Also, my tummy got real big. I tried over the counter drugs and nothing worked. The heartburn went away after 2 weeks and the burping continued. It slowed down by a 75% 1 month later when I was at a party and drank 1 margarita. While I was drinking the margarita, I noticed the burping was decreasing. After that, I made an appointment and found that I had BE. I’m taking 20 mg of Omeprazole daily and I thank God so much that the burping decreased a lot. I do get heart burn when I eat chocolate or tomato. I try my best to avoid foods and drinks that will give me those symptoms. You have to study your body and see what accelerates gerd symptoms. Try to avoid foods as chocolate, tomato, onion, broccoli, sosa waters with caf., etc.

September 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm
(25) Richard James says:

I was diagnoses with Barretts Esophagus in May 2011. This was the 3rd scope in 5 years because I’v had acid reflux and a period between 2003 and 2008 I was getting sick alot. I started out in 2000 taking protonic then in 2004 my doctor gave me omeprazole, Up unitl I found out I had recent changes of my esophagus with mild Barretts I was put on Dexilant 60MG. While my copayment was $10 for omeprazole I get Dexilant for free because the makers of Dexilant pays for my $35 copay. Since finding out about Barretts Esophagus I have stoped drinking anything with caffeine and I don’t drink carbonated drinks except 7up or ginger ale once in a while. Nothing hot or spicey for me as well. I dont stress on the fact I have barretts. Doctor wants me to go for a rescope next May.

September 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(26) betty says:

1 year ago still get pain under ribs and bact also get breathless i got barretts and gatris is this normal

November 16, 2011 at 11:22 am
(27) lawson says:

hello rachelle i suffered from a young age aswel,i was only in my early 20,s when i started choking on food or anything else i ate i used to have to vomit it back up.i also used to make my self throw up after meals and that was probably the cause because i developed and ulser in my esophagus but i didnt realize i had an ulser until about 8 years later when the doctors finally took me seriously and give me an endoscopy.they thought me choking was all in my mind but i had a huge ulser and because it went undiagnosed for so long i done a lot of damage although the ulcer cleared with med in a week i was tested and tested positive for barretts and 7 centimetres aswel so i felt the same.to young to have it.i blame the doctors if they put the camera down earlier they would have caught it b4 it got too bad but they thought i was too young to have any real problems.tut tut!

November 24, 2011 at 10:56 am
(28) Alexandra says:

Im 23 and I was diagnosed with Barretts, (8cm) after the scope procedure (which I had waited months for) I had been throwing up food and water for nearly 4 months…I dont think its all pyschological but the doctor said that the barretts and my hernia are the result of my vomiting and not the cause, and he said its more of a “head thing”
Its been a couple of days since then and now they have suggested I take some meds to reduce the acid in my stomach and take another test in 6 months.
So Im left with no answers and no help?!!?
I cant coninue to live like this…and my main concern is, if I cant hold food or water, how am I going to be able to old the meds?
As I had to take meds for an infection before and kept throwing them up….and another thing that annoys me is my dehydration level, I havent passed out yet but I cant stand up without feeling lightheaded and being ou of breath, and I cant hold liquids very well.
Also Im what they would call underweight, my bmi is 15.3 so other concern is,am I aneroxic? And if so where is my help? Why am I left alone with no support?!?!?!

November 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm
(29) Michelle says:

Alexandra, I hope you find another doctor – the one you visited seems like a jerk. Keep looking until you find one who takes you seriously. You are so young. Trust yourself – if a doctor doesn’t make you feel comfortable or is blaming you – it’s time to find a new doctor. Good luck sweetie.

By the way, I was underweight all my life until I had my second child at 30 years old and quit my job. When I wasn’t under stress from work, I was able to keep weight on. Usually, those who suffer from anorexia think they look obese when the rest of the world thinks they are too skinny. It doesn’t sound like that is your problem. If you can’t keep food and water down – you are probably malnourished.

As for comments on my hiatal hernia and barrett’s esophagus from acid and bile reflux – I have nothing more to add to the conversation. I’m 37 and wish I knew why this problem is on the rise. I eat healthy meals, I am 130 lbs. I know my reflux mainly happens at night when I sleep. I spit yellow bile every morning. I just don’t want to die young from cancer. Wish docs knew more.

January 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(30) Katherine says:

I am 23 years old and was diagnosed a week ago with Barretts after my second endoscopy. I had my first one done about 6 months ago and was told that I had Barrett’s esophagus. My mom being an RN thought that it was very strange for me to have developed Barrett’s at such a young age with no symptoms of acid reflux except chest pain. I went to Mayo clinic and saw a Barrett’s specialist to which he performed a second endoscopy and confirmed that I do in fact have Barrett’s. My father is currently undergoing treatment for his Barrett’s but he has had years and years of acid relfux issues. I am on surveillence for a year but I am still wondering how in the world I ended up with this diagnosis at such a young age and no acid reflux problems ever. I have a large history of health issues, Lyme disease, pneumonia, shingles, meningitis just to name a few… is it possible that the Barrett’s formed from always being sick/ getting infections? Can it be viral? Anyone with information please respond, thank you and God Bless.

March 22, 2012 at 12:42 am
(31) Ginger says:

Wow a lot of us have this BE. You know I was thinking, would one know if they have acid reflux if it didn’t come all the way up? Like if it just hung out around the stomach opening? May be that is why so many ppl don’t think they have acid reflux? Ugh I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer two years ago, have to have that monitored every year, now this. Soooo depressing. But it seems like all of you are doing good so that is a plus.

March 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm
(32) Babs says:

I was diagnosed with BE over a yr ago and just went for my second endoscopy. My new dr could not find any Barrett’s and the biopsies were normal. Doc said patches I had last year maybe were what was removed by biopsy. So I don’t need another scope for five years! Although he said there’s a little bit of change in my esophagus, it’s not consistent with BE. I’m in my 50s and have changed my diet, raised my bed, and have been taking Prilosec, vitamins, and marshmallow root since my original diagnosis. I also had few reflux symptoms but do have a small hiatal hernia. Had never heard of BE before all this.

April 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm
(33) Jill says:

I had an EGD at the beginning of april…the nurse caleld abck with the results saying that I had BE..I called back asking her for some clarificaiton as I read there are levels..with dysplasia etc….she called back and said the dr said ti was very mild BE and just to watch diet. My PCP got the results and called me saying that the results dont specfically mention BE, but mention spots in my esphogus that have a few abnormal cells, nothing cancerous…so is this BE or is it not…I am soo confused…anyone have any ideas? Or similar experiences.?? I have awful GERD especailyl at night. watching what I eat and taking Pantoprozole and heart burn and sour stmach just awful…..Anyone have any simiar experiences..I am 32 and a littel freaked out.?? thoughts?

May 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm
(34) Jan says:

Hi, wow so many people with Barrett’s. I have had Barretts for many years and at this time 2/3 of my esophagus is affected. I have been in to have esophageal dilatation at least 71 times since 1999. I also have 3 esophageal strictures that make it necessary for the dilatations. I usually begin to get foods stuck in my esophagus which is when I know I need to have another scope and dilatation. I take nexium daily and have made many changes in diet, I too avoid many foods that trigger GERD. I am feeling the need for a dilatation as I choked on some raw veggies. The problem now for me is that I just was diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my C spine area and these are putting pressure onto my spinal cord. Worried that the scope/dilatation will put further stress on these as I know the position you must be placed in for the scope. I am unable to swallow any pills and NSAIDS are a no no as they cause me horrible stomach upset. Anyone ever had these issues. really wish there was someone that related to this situation.

May 13, 2012 at 12:13 am
(35) marie says:

Hi
My husband has esophageal cancer stage 4. Just found out
upset with doctors has had heartburn for 30 years. last endosopy
was in 2004 . they say it was normal but has large hital hernia
abnormal zline, few tongues in esophagus and gastritis on this
endoscopy. was never tested again no doctor ever mentioned
barretts to us. We never heard of it. We dont know what to make of this.
could it have been there in 2004 and they missed it ?? any info
would be appreciated
thanks

May 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(36) Kevin Noa says:

Use honey and chew gum. The gum really mkes a difference for me. The gum produces more saliva that keep the heartburn away.

July 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm
(37) Niki says:

My son was diagnosed with Barrets last year – he was 15 then. He also as a hiatus hernia. I am so scared for him, he has suffered from reflux since he was born (8weeks premature), it stopped whn he was 5 then returned when he was 12. I have just found out he has started smoking! I just want to cry for him – here I am trying to explain how much worse he could make it for himself-he is only 16! How can I make him understand it all?

August 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm
(38) Priscilla says:

I have just been diagnosed with Barretts oesophagus last week, after waiting to get into the hospital for over 2 years, I am 42 years old with 4 children and i just cant stop thinking about the cancer side of it. I am so scared to eat anything i dont want to upset it anymore and it says to eat soft food to try and let the oesophaus heal, there wont be much left of me if i dont eat something as i have to watch my cholestrol as well, i miss my many cups ot tea a day, and I have that horrible feeling of something stuck in my throat and constant pain in my chest that it is a constant reminder there is something wrong, I am on nexium everyday, isnt that suppose to take away the symptons and make you feel better. I only had my endoscope last week and still have 2 weeks till i find out the biopsy results. Im not over weight and i dont smoke and only use to drink occassionally and i eat healthy. Some of these messages on here are sad as to how young they are and have no warning. I hope they find some kind of cure for this, as i feel this big weight on my shoulders wondering if i have cancer and i wont feel reassured until every endoscope test comes back normal.. Dam This Disease. I have done some much research on the internet, but still am really none the wiser.It is nice to know you can get on here and share your story and see other people going through the same and get some strength from their storys to. I wish everybody on here, the best of luck.
May God be with us all.

August 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm
(39) Debbie says:

My husband was just diagnosed with BE. We were told the the long list of foods to avoid but I was hoping that the ones here that have had it for awhile can tell me what you CAN eat. That list seems pretty short. Thanks for any help.

August 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm
(40) k bow says:

i am so scared at this very moment.please,someone out there tell me i will be ok.no cancer yet,but as bad as i am,my DR told me out of a 5 i am a 4.reading these comments scares me .i need some reassuring.please anyone!

August 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(41) erika says:

i have been diagnosed with BE for 2 1/2 years .I was so scared in the beginning . People should always see another doctor if you don’t get the answers you need from the first one . I definately feel symptems when I don’t eat correctly and take a tablet each day . Remeber though that each year they are breaking ground with new treatments and that if it starts to turn to cancer they can burn it out .Although this is not ideal it gives you time until they find a cure .

September 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm
(42) john t says:

k bow—i dont know your age but i can tell you that in april of 2011 i was diagnosed with barretts and before that i was diagnosed with copd–sometimes i cant tell which disease is bothering me–almost ALL my symptoms from BOTH diseases give me problems on my LEFT side–example-phlemmy cough left side- sore throat left side-belching that i call the innies cause its not a normal burp left side–my doctors thought i was nuts when i told them everything i get is on my LEFT side–things i do to combat it–i quit smoking altogether in sept 20 2008 BEFORE i was diagnosed with anything–i did it to GAIN weight–i mostly walk{with a few bursts of running] the track at least twice a week–i did 10 laps today—i just spoke to my doctor today about getting another endoscopy soon and he told me to get it soon because 2 percent chance of barretts turning into cancer is still high but before he said 2 percent was real low-i do have a few beers here and there as i work at a bar and its hard to quit everything–i take 2 omneprazole every day and i feel ok for the most part-i am 56 years old and am not overweight but i think my conditions have caused me to get a bit of a gut i never had while smoking but im never smoking again–and the gut is another reason im walking and jogging more–all i can tell you is to explore different ways to combat it-you also never stated your age and you did say it isnt cancer SO ASK AROUND and try to remain calm–TO ALL OUT HERE i hope all of our diseases will be cured.-im here if you need to talk–any of you i mean.

September 21, 2012 at 8:36 am
(43) Michele says:

I was just diagnosed with barrettes with no dysplasia. I have a small Hiatal hernia. Doc put me on 80 mg of omeprozole. He doesn’t seen to be concerned. However I am. I also had polyps that were pre cancer of the colon. I have scheduled a second opinion for Oct 1. I am a smoker and drink occasionally. I am on the verge of quitting. I want to live forever for my kids.

September 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(44) Hollie says:

Oh my, oh my, the curse of Barrett’s! I had my first exam at 24 nothing serious was found, minor inflammation I was to repeat the test in one year. I lost my insurance and never went back. I’ve had reflux since I was a very little girl, so honestly I just grew accosted to it. It didnt and still does not matter what I eat or drink it comes back up and for hours on end. Till early this year I started choking in my sleep best way to descibe it was like I was drowning, the attacks got more frequent, chest pains more severe, and the left side of my throat was constantly swollen. My PA insisted I go back to my GI. With a long history of stomach cancer, colon cancer, and Barrett’s in my family we did the test again. Finally I have an answer for what I’ve dealt with for soo many years. I was so lucky to develope it through genetics. Yes you can get Barrett’s through genetics!! I don’t smoke, weigh 131 pounds, drink once a year, howevever I love fatty greasy foods, love coca cola, chocolate, and everything else on the list of don’t haves!! I just turned 31 and was diagnosed all in the same month. I take Omapazan twice a day, no caffine at all :( , I eat in very small portions and avoid things I know that trigger the severe episodes, no juice, bananas are the worst for me, no food two hours before laying down, and I do a 20 min walk every day like my Dr. instructed (not to loose weight) but to prevent another condition caused by the antacids. It has gotten better my belly still swells after eating and I still have reflux imidiatly following eating but no where as long as before and no choking episodes have occurred lately. Barrett’s can heal but surface in other areas I’ve accepted what I was dealt with and it’s only up to me to help better the circumstances!! Good luck to all I feel your pain and confusion just know your not alone!!

October 18, 2012 at 3:45 am
(45) sherry durham says:

After severe pain years ago I had my gall bladder removed and was told my pancreas was shot out, so I am thinking I will be getting better now. Never the less I continued to get worse and was hospitalized and after several test was told I had hiatal hernia and inflammation of the esophagus along with fungus in esophagus. I don’t drink alcohol or eat spicy foods and often find if I eat something bland it eases some what. I was in an accident 20 years ago and spent a year at Shepard spinal clinic where I was put on pain medications I now wonder if this could have caused it. I am up right now at 3:26 AM with severe pain which BTW the pain meds I am on do not help with this stomach pain. I have lost 45 pounds and can not afford to lose any more. I now weigh 112 pounds. The pain is unbearable and trying to lie down is a joke, I am so worn out as I seldom sleep more than 2 hours at a time, I’m so frustrated and just want to get better, have began prilosec so hopefully will see improvement just want stomach and chest pain to STOP!!!

November 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm
(46) SusanAO says:

There is treatment for Barrett’s called esophageal ablation which I am going in for next month. It cures the Barrett’s by lasering/burning the tissue of the esophagus and letting it heal with new cells. Its has a very good cure rate and is very promising, I highly recommend over letting yourself be open for esophageal cancer. I have had Barrett’s all my life, am vegan and don’t smoke or drink. It is more of a problem than people think, please, take it seriously.

November 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(47) Jen says:

I’m 25 and have Barrett’s. Was a surprise; when I went for the endoscopy I had managed to convince myself that they were going to say it was coeliacs, so Barrett’s was a little out of the blue.

To be perfectly honest, as a medical student I’m well informed and not blowing it out of proportion, but I am a little concerned with having it so young (everyone, technician to consultant, goes “oh, but you’re so young!” – yes I realise this thanks, not helping!). Right now, its my depression that is affecting my life the most. Yes, there is a pretty slim chance that Barrett’s could turn nasty in the future, but right now I’m symptom free and believe me, if there was a way of making my depression symptom free (even if it meant a small chance of brain cancer in the future) I’d take it! Incidently, I am hypothyroid and diary intolerant too.

Ph study (horrible 3 day NG tube experience) showed I’m getting a ton of “silent” reflux not being stopped by a barrage of PPI, so am considering surgery. But aside from that, I’ll keep getting surveillance endoscopies every few years and try and forget about it. Being a medical student does help put things in perspective tho!

All the research I’ve read (I’m not talking about advice, experience and random websites – I mean scientific papers and controlled studies) shows that dietary changes are great for symptoms but have no impact on progression to cancer. Also, for me, this was confirmed by pH and manometry readings (I have no sphincter tone what so ever, so chocolate can’t reduce it, and my worst reflux is in the early hours of the morning so unrelated to meals). Maybe the Barretts would seem worse if it affect me on an every day basis – I’m already dairy free (intollerent, not allergic thank goodness, but I REALLY bloat if I cheat!) so cutting out more stuff would really T me off!

December 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(48) patsy wilson says:

I was diagnosed with Barrettes when I had to have my spleen out in 2005 was a accidental finding (both) I take pro tonic been on for years and have the scope every 2 years for rest of my life .I do have to watch what I eat .

December 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(49) Scott says:

I was diagnosed with Barettes last november 2012. I have been on lanzoprazole for about 7 years. I am now 47 years old.Finnaly I got tired of taking the medication,went to a bariactrics surgeon. They preformed haital hernia repair and nissen fundoplication December 2012. I have been off medication for two weeks no acid reflux. Hopefully takes care of Gerds

January 4, 2013 at 9:14 am
(50) Michelle says:

I was diagnosed with Barrett’s October 2012. I have tried most of the Proton Inhibitors. None work for me. I burn more for hours after ingesting. Coincidentally, suffer from nose bleeds when on them. I have found the H2 blockers work for me with carafate and a low acid diet. No carbs, lots of vegetables and no trigger foods. I bought the wedge pillow/acid reflux pillow since my reflux was “silent” and mostly at night. It has reduced the acid sessions by about 60% but I do wake up and catch an episode. I drink a lot of high PH water too. I am following up with a 2nd endoscopy in February. I am not letting a doctor tell me to “wait and see.” I have seen multiple doctors since October and one told me “You are in control of your body. Don’t let this beat you.” My advice for everyone is Take action and Think positive!

January 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(51) Sandy says:

I was diagnosed with barret’s esophagous ONLY after I went to the gastrologist after having alot of heartburn, and chest pains on and off, I Don’t have highblood pressure,… I’m NOT on any prescripition pillsi’m 42, 5’3 130 pd not over weight i don’t drink i don’t smoke, i also found out i have celiac ….weird the blood test was Negative, but the endonoscopy showed i had gluten intolerance, Anyways it really sucked when i found out i have to Not have chocolate, coffe, spearmint, soda, all things that cause heartburn, also give up allllll sorts of food because of the celiac, and than to know i have to be going in once a year for a endonoscopy, and to Think endonoscopy are usually Not done till people are in their 50′s……thank god i decided to go Before than…Anyways on the positive side, i’ve been walking about 1 hour a day….No soda……bye bye to coffee =( no coffee, ….no more foods with gluten or corn frutose…..i Only eat Fish, White meats, Veggies, and Non-acidic fruits,,,,lotsss of blackberries, and blueberries, heard it’s good for barretts esophogaus,,,,i also take vitamin D chewable, vitamin C chewable……and Omega 3….i’m also thinking of picking up black licirioce i heard it’s good also,,,i’m starting to feel better…..i was having alot of days i was throwing up and tired and had massive heartburn and chest pain,,,,,since eating better and stopping all the food i shouldn’t eat i feel better little by little……ahhh also forgot to mention i have a hiatus hernia…..=( unreal….lol……well hope everyone is doing well, and as someone said before,,,,,,,don’t let this beat you……thinking positive and trying to find a solution and staying strong is the way =)……

February 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm
(52) Jen says:

I have recently been diagnosed with Barrett’s Oesophagus through a routine endoscopy. I have never had heartburn in my life but had become nauseous a few months ago, which was relieved by taking Pariet. This prompted my doctor to book me in for the endoscopy.

I also had a duodenal ulcer a few years back, and have Addisons Disease and Hashimotos.

March 1, 2013 at 5:35 am
(53) Eric says:

So here I am 4:13 am awake heartburn and lump in throat. Went to the free clinic here in my home town to try to get some answers. Well I must be crazy for thinking that huh? Beggars can’t be choosers though. I told them about my feeling of food being stuck in my throat and the wanted me to get some blood test and a ultrasound on my throat to see if I had a enlarged thyroid. I did not end up going to the ultrasound because it dawned on me that my symptoms were far lower than my thyroid and that it would be a waste of my money. So I am waiting to hear something about the blood test which will not really tell me squat about my symptoms. Also the staff at the free clinic are so rude. I called them about maybe scheduling a upper endoscopy and the nurse said that it cost a lot of money and was basically trying to talk me out of it.. what the hell, is it their job to look after my finances or my health? I could try to get what they call a charitable application. of course they weren’t eager to tell me that and I had to pull teeth to find out about that. maybe I can get that done or a barium swallow at least. Looking forward to obamacare in 2014. No I don’t want to mooch of of the government not at all. I don’t make a ton of money because money and material things are not what I care most about in life. Does that mean I should not have a right to be healthy? Anyways I just want to finish by saying that I am thankful for the life I have and that I understand kids die with cancer and that people deal with seemingly unbearable health issues daily. 3rd world countries and disasters ect.. So I am thankful even if I end up having BE hiatial hernia or what the hell ever.

May 3, 2013 at 11:08 am
(54) Rene says:

I have not been diagnosed with barretts, but I do however how 24 hour acid reflux…very frustrating. I have had an upper GI, a gastric emptying.and a manometry ,the bravo chip inserted in me for several days. My doctor says I do have a hiatal hernia, but doesn’t feel that is the cause of my problems. I take 2 nexium a day, which does nothing for me what so ever….again very frustrating.
He is now sending me again to have the manometry a second time at a different location. why…..I guess he feels something will show up…..I’m assuming. Would love to have surgery to rid myself of all this. I have tried diet change, which really doesn’t do much at all.

May 19, 2013 at 9:02 am
(55) leon says:

I have exactly the same problem aghhh that feeling of a lump in the throat anyone here who successfully cured it and living normal again cause i am missing old me before i got this problem

May 20, 2013 at 7:32 am
(56) Hazel van Zyl says:

Hi, yes I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus some 5 years ago. I didn’t really suffer any chronic heartburn but rather experienced severe pain in my chest (trachea) around about at the apex of my rib cage just under my breastbone. It felt like I had swallowed a sharp object that had lodged somewhere down my food pipe…
I could neither eat, drink nor swallow without severe pain in that area. I was sent for an endoscopy and was diagnosed with Barretts.
I was on Nexium medication which prevents the growth of the bacteria (fungus) thus relieving the pain, however, since Discovery medical aid do not recognise this medication under their list of prescribed medications, I was not able to get it as a prescribed medication without depleting my savings account on the medical aid – it is very expensive! So I am now taking Altosec which is about a quarter of the price but not as effective. I must take Altosec everyday to avoid the pain.

June 30, 2013 at 11:36 am
(57) Jesus says:

Well about 1 year ago i went to the E.R with my dad he was told he had GERD and they put him on omeprzole for life
Then he had an upper edoscopy and everything came out normal except he had essophagitis(inflammation of the esophagus they put him on anti biotics for about less then a month now its 2013 June and since he has had heartburn like twice a month he does not drink he quieted smoking about 8 years ago. He watches his diet he lost 30pouds from 220-190 hes 5’11 and he has a small hiatal hernia he has not gone to the doctor since September he has not develop any other disease like berrets but i hope he never gets it i pray for god not to get any other diseases i really like my dad and i want him to live as long as possible without any more complications or life threating well i hope every who has berrents gets better you can get rid of with surgery and watching your diet and take all your medicine on time.
hope god helps all of you.

July 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(58) dave says:

Hi diagnosed with barretts six months ago got the same worries as other sufferes but my swallowing is my problem dry foods such as crisps travel so slowly and i can feel every sensation of the food travelling down my foodpipe then i can feel it plop in my stomach am i on my own with these sensations

July 31, 2013 at 5:59 pm
(59) Halle says:

I’ve had stomach and esophageal pain for many years. Last year diagnosed with Barrett’s. It is scary, always worried about cancer.
Some weeks I have a lot of pain and then sometimes I don’t. Pain isn’t the problem for me as much as the cancer worry. It’s hard to wait between endoscopies. The more I read and look at websites, it seems there are a lot of people with the same acid problems or worse. We really do need some new breakthrough help.

December 27, 2013 at 12:45 am
(60) Dona says:

I have been taking Omeprazole for acid reflux for several years and it did help my heartburn but I had non stop nausea. Last spring I was diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus. My doctor instructed me to take my Omeprazole in the morning and evening instead of two pills in the morning. This helped the nausea. Thank goodness, I feel so much better now. I am symptom free. I was told to have a scope every two years. The whole thing is new to me. I had never heard of BE. Hope this info helps someone else.

January 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm
(61) mark says:

i also have this it relay upset me with i first realized how bad it can be i liv in the uk and im thikin of doing a swim for barrests caner research this year

February 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm
(62) Dean says:

Hi I am 27 and have just been diagnosed with barretts and gastritis . I am very worried now as I am quite healthy and don’t eat that bad , now have to change diet and be carful what eat and drink , also been told have to have camera done every year or 2 depending on the biopsy . Get very worried when they mention can develop in to cancer . I have constant stomach pain and always un comfortable and my stomach always make noises like the sound of water moving about , also always bloated . Does anyone no if you can have barretts for years And years . I am just worried about it

February 26, 2014 at 10:09 am
(63) Fran says:

I had heartburn for years. I’m 49. I remember about 10 years going to a family doctor in Georgetown TX who suggested I have an endoscopy which I brushed under the carpet. In my defense, he suggested it, but never explained why he suggested it. Had I known it was a test for Barrets I may have gotten it sooner. Anyway, hind sight. My Dad actually died of eaophageal cancer. I remember him taking baking soda in water and drinking it nightly to get rid of his heartburn. I don’t know whether they didn’t know about Barrets 20 years ago but he was never tested. I am sure he must of had it 20 years even before that. Also, there was no such thing as proton inhibitors…..perhaps Roland’s or Tums. Anyway, last year I had n episode of gastritis. It was an extremely stressful time and I went to the ER. Long story short, scheduled endoscopy shortly thereafter and found I had short segment Barrets. Upped my proton inhibitors. Had a colonoscopy 6 months after that because a trace of blood on a fecal test so I suggested they do another endoscopy while they were at it. I’m half I did that because there was nothing wrong with my colonoscopy and would hve wondered if the blood came from the Barrets. It did not. Further biopsies of Barrets were taken an it had not progressed in nthe 6 month period. I’m having some throat pressure pain so I think I need to see another specialist, the one I went to in the past has a real passive wait and see attitude. Not crazy about her.

March 3, 2014 at 9:44 am
(64) Diana says:

I would like to know how you are doing Susan, #46, since you had the ablation for your barretts esophagus. I’m curious if you are healed. Thank you. Diana

March 6, 2014 at 11:28 pm
(65) Brian says:

Helps reading all of your comments I have hope for all. I have battled GERD for several years however recently I started having chest pains on the right side but what is different this time is the back pain between my shoulder blade. Does anyone else experience this? Have to wait 2 weeks for endoscopy. Reading about esophaguas cancer on Internet will make you crazy.