Are you are wondering if the discomfort you are feeling is heartburn? Or do you want to understand what your friend or loved one is feeling when they experience a bout of heartburn? To find the answers, learn what heartburn feels like.
What does heartburn feel like?
- A burning feeling in the chest just behind the breastbone (the sternum) that may radiate upward toward the neck.
- A feeling of pressure or pain behind the breastbone that occurs after eating and may last as long as two hours.
- Chest pain that occurs when bending over or lying down, especially soon after eating.
- A burning sensation in the throat, usually accompanied by a hot, sour, acidic, or bitter tasting fluid at the back of the throat and/or in the mouth.
- A feeling like food coming back into the mouth.
- A feeling like food is sticking in the middle of the chest or throat.